Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Spinning again...

BlogRolling is playing up again. For weeks now I have only had the occasional notification that journals have been updated. When I move my mouse cursor over some of the blog links, the little information window tries to convince me that these blogs have not been updated since the beginning of February, despite the fact that I *know* that they were updated three times a week for the last two months. What's going on? And this is for journals for which I've had plenty of updates before.

This means that despite BlogRolling I'm back to checking each and every one of the blogs on my regular reading list separately. *grumbles*

But enough of that.

Do you remember the delicious burnt-orange coloured corriedale roving that my SP6 sent me a while ago? Well, to make it go further, I decided to ply it with some yellow merino. The result is this:

I love the way the colours compliment each other. The warm orange and the warm yellow make such a cheerful combination. Yummy looking, even. Juicy! And I ended up with not only one skein of it either. Rather, I have five:

I am very much hoping that it will be enough for a sweater or cardigan. Maybe if I have shorter sleeves?

In an attempt to get back into a more crafty lifestyle than I have had during the last two weeks I also treated myself to an X-Files marathon on FX the other night, followed by a new episode of Lost on E4, while I was spinning some of the merino that I brought back from my trip to Fibre Paradise (aka, Wingham Wool Work). My plan was to make a chunky 3-ply with 2 strands of white merino and 1 strand of grey Jacob's fleece, and to use the resulting yarn for some Rowan Big Wool sweater or cardigan pattern. The result of one evening of spinning is this:

I *quite* like the look of the yarn, and the softness of the merino counteracts the rougher fibre of the Jacob sufficiently. What I don't like particularly is how dense and how heavy it consequently is. I think I may have to abandon my plan of producing enough of this yarn to create a cardigan - it would weigh at least 1kg and I'm really not sure that I want to carry that on my back!

Instead, I have started using the merino to spin an approximately sock-weight single to be plied with some brown Blue Faced Leicester. I want to use this yarn for Norah Gaughan's pretty pretty side-way ribs cardigan from the Fall/Winter issue of Knitscene:


I *love* that cardigan!






When I researched the yarn, it turned out to be a German handspun. It's a single ply, but I have decided to use a 2-ply yarn anyway - I imagine it will pill less that way.

I spun a single from the white merino, and have started preparing the roving for the second single - merino and just a trace of brown BFL:


And finally, look what I got yesterday!!

I am doing a swap with Donni from Mog's Blog. She promised to weave a scarf for me and I will knit her some gloves in return. I have a bit more time to do my part of the swap, because it's summer right now where she lives (Australia), so I will get to that after xmas and New Year.

Isn't the scarf beautiful, though? It's a Suri Alpaca Handspun, woven in with 'Flame' from Crystal Palace Waikiki. Here is a close-up so you can see the texture better:

Thank you so much Donni, I LOVE the scarf!! It will get worn a lot this winter. :-)

ETA: Thank you also for the lovely little notebook and the yummy Australian sweets you sent with the scarf. I wasn't able to take a picture of the sweets because they are already eaten... ;-)

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:38 am

    Yay! That didn't take too long... nice and soft isn't it! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scarf!
    At the moment I'm using both blogrolling and bloglines, which seems to pick up *most* (but not all!) of the updates! Let us know how you get on! Blogrolling doesn't seem to work for some non-blogger blogs, so I'm using bloglines for those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:55 pm

    What a fabulous scarf! Great job on that, Donni.

    Your spinning is wunderbar! I hope Santa gets my not-too-subtle hint that I want a wheel this year.

    Secret Pal

    ReplyDelete
  4. That orange and yellow yarn is lovely! It looks like a creamsicle or an Orange Julius drink. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:41 pm

    great scarf from OZ. What great work.

    Love your juicy yarn too. Have you tried Kinja.com to keep up-to-date? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That yarn is yumming looking. All of your spinning is so well spun too! I picked up a drop spindle this week after not having used one since last winter and I feel like a complete klutz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:39 pm

    This yellow/orange yarn is beuatiful. Any idea yet on what pattern you want to use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:04 am

    Your home spun yarn is gorgeous! I love the orange and yellow together. Now that I've had a bit of spinning experience, I'm so impressed!! That looks so great and you did 5??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:03 pm

    Beautiful spinning and the colours just make you feel all toasty too. I like the woven scarf too, well done Donni.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iris...the handspun is excellent. How long have you been spinning? Beautiful color and most excellent workmanship. I have one close friend that knits, but we see each other only twice or three times a year...I have not a single spinning buddy around here. I enjoy your posts on your creations.

    Now if Santa would only bring me that new Kromski Minstrel.... :)

    What are your favorite colors for spinning? Fibres?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:32 pm

    what beautiful yarn, and that scarf is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Iris...Santa has gone postal...look for box at postoffice after first of year...a good two weeks.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:49 am

    beee--uuutiful spinning! I'm hoping to make that cardi with some of my handspun I'm spinning up as well! Hopefully it will be a bulky enough yarn for it.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:00 pm

    I do love the look of your handspun. I believe it's called marled yarn--two different colors plied together. What are you planning on making with it?

    - MJ

    ReplyDelete