Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ginger is good for you!

I've been obsessed with ginger recently. I drink ginger cordial, ginger beer, ginger tea... D told me yesterday that he thinks I've gone ginger mad. This was after he'd found the second bottle of ginger cordial. ;-) This new craving for ginger is so odd, in particular because until a few weeks ago I was less than enamoured with it. Not that I hated ginger, but, well, other than the occasional ginger snap I was not particularly partial to it either. Isn't taste a funny thing?

In knitting-related news: Work on the Jaywalkers is slow. What is it about knitting socks that makes my knitting speed slow down to a snail-like pace? I could probably knit an entire sweater in the time it takes me to finish 1 sock, never mind a pair. In fact, I HAVE almost finished the Side-ways Ribs Cardi that I started not so long ago. As promised, here are a few pictures:


And, for no particular reason, a close-up of the sleeve:


I have finished one side and am about half way through the second side of the cardigan. So far I am so pleased with how it's turning out. The handspun is soft and the resulting knit seems light and airy, yet warm. Just the right thing for spring or autumn or maybe a cool summer evening. I can't remember who said it, but I have to agree - knitting with your own handspun is magical. There is something really special in seeing fibre transform into a garment.

It also seems like I have calculated the yardage right - look at what I have left of the 10 skeins:


3 small skeins left! This should be just about enough to finish the rest of the cardigan and to assemble it all together. Can't wait. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you've got enough to finish the sweater. There's nothing worse than not having enough yarn. It's lovely yarn too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jumper looks fab & it must be wonderful working with your own hand-spun. Well done on the yardage calculation too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hand-spun is so gorgeous and I love how it knits up. It looks magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, at the risk of being scarey - I had a ginger craving about 5 1/2 years ago - and the by-product is/was Kaela my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger is excellent! I make a mean chicken and coconut milk soup, which also includes chili, lemongrass and ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Donni said, ginger craving and pregnancy went together with me too, but then so did tomato juice and worcester sauce by the bucket load.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love ginger here! The local butchers does a fantastic ginger drink (like ginger wine but non-alcoholic).

    ReplyDelete
  8. be careful of having too much ginger...as good as it is for you (and i eat loads of the stuff)...in chinese medicine it is a heat generating product. so it is better to have it in moderation.

    ReplyDelete