Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Summer crafting...

... can be pretty slow. 

It's been hot out there these past few days. I'm not complaining, mind (I really shouldn't, after whinging for weeks about the unseasonably cold weather), especially since it already seems to be over again (far too soon!), but it did make me slow and unwilling to engage too much with warm wool. I have been doing some gentle crochet, and I've also worked on a test knit which, for a while, took most of my knitting time , but other than that there isn't much to report. I do have plans, though! This year, I am telling myself, is the year when I will knit some Christmas presents. Nothing large - no cardigans or blankets - but some hats and scarves and mitts are in order I think.


I also need to make another baby quilt, because my oldest and dearest friend just had a baby girl (her third little girl, to match our three boys!!). I sewed quilts for her older two, so will obviously have to do the same for the new arrival. :)  Add to that a sudden desire to finally learn embroidery (I purchased the materials for this years ago, but never got round to it) after seeing the beautiful bags that Stefanie over at Woolythyme made, and I am pretty much set for the summer and autumn.

I'm also contemplating what to take on holiday with me. It dawned on me the other day that we will be getting ready to board the ferry to Rotterdam in two weeks time. I have dragged the suitcase down from the attic and have been putting kids clothes aside so there won't be a mad dash to get all sorts of clothes washed and dried on the last day! 

But what really occupies my thoughts is of course not the packing of clothes - it's the packing of crafts projects. I always overestimate the amount of making time that I have on holiday, but hey, I can dream, right?  Right now I am thinking some portable small projects such as hats and scarves, and perhaps that embroidery stuff - after all it's also fairly small and portable... What do you think? What are you taking on holiday with you?

Other than that it's a mad dash to get organised. There is work stuff to be done of course, but in between I have to find time for all the holiday planning too. I have things to get for the journey, and the beach, and food to plan and buy (we are going in the car and we  will have a flat, so we may as well plan ahead - since we are going to a small island food is bound to be pricey there). 

On top of that I am trying to think up an easy irigation system for my greenhouse. The tomatoes are coming on so well in there, and  I really don't want to come back to some kind of desert... The allotment will hopefully look after itself for the fortnight that we are away, although as fate may have it we could be heading for a freak heatwave (a rarity in Yorkshire, but not unheard of...). Not much to be done about that, though, so I can only hope for a) rain, and b) wel-established plants that can weather a dry spell. 

Anyway, look what arrived yesterday!


My mum-in-law was kind enough to give me a subscription to Taproot for my birthday. I'm so looking forward to reading it, but perhaps I should wait until the holiday?

Shared with:



13 comments:

  1. Those purples are gorgeous together, can't wait to see what they become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot to do to get ready for your holiday! And yes - those two shades love lovely in that picture above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Packing for travel takes so much thought -- of course, I'm referring to crafting. I am flying to California next week and agonizing over which knitting to take along. I am quite jealous that you will be off to the Netherlands, one of my favorite countries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...the purple...swoon...have a great vacation...I leave in about a week...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful holiday, craft projects always take a lot of thought. I would go for smaller items it will give you a better sense of achievement. Love the colour of the yarn you are using on the current project. There is a micro irrigation system now available that works from a water butt or drain pipe but they are a little pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. have a great holiday! I spent a long time deciding what knitting to take on my holiday to Corfu, but the weather was so hot everyday, and we were all inclusive, I ended up knitting NOTHING and instead drank cocktails and read all day :) small projects are a must though :) jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful holiday. What fun to pack for crafts too. I love your purple crochet and wondering what it is and what the stitch is. The purple colors of yarn are so pretty. Take lot sof pics so you can share when you return! LOL!
    P.S. I am planning on a lot of hats, mittens and scarves/cowls for gifts this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, love the colours and the close up especially shows the stitch and the beauty of the pattern, I am quite literally doing a happy dance as that's what I envisaged! Thank you so much! Now holiday packing, better to have lots of small portable projects even if you don't work on all of them at least you have them and won't be stuck and they are small and wont take up much room. The embroidery sounds really interesting, I'd take that also, it's small it wont take up much space. Hope you all have a safe journey and enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. exciting times coming your way.....and I SOOO understand the craft-packing-thing! I have to have projects packed first before I even think of anything else!!!! Enjoy your holiday! (I would definitely take both yarny AND embroidery....especially since you'll be driving, suitcase space might not be limited!!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These purples look good with one another. Yes, I agree. Small projects seem best especially if you're going to be in the sun. You can enjoy the chatter and the scenery at the same time you knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like taking socks on holiday, something very simple that you can knit on in the car or at the beach or whatever. I tend to over estimate my crafting time too, better than being without a project though right?

    Hope you have a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are officially the first one I heard mentioning Christmas knits ;) But I guess there is no starting too early. And if you are going on holiday by car I would just overpack on crafting projects, as long as there is space! But taking some small projects can never go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christmas knitting?! AARRRGGGHHHHH... But very sensible! Hope you got sorted with watering whilst you're on holiday (we always keep our fingers crossed, but it's less risky as we go away end of May/early June when it tends not to be as warm...)

    ReplyDelete