Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Tidy House Tuesday

The Flylady schedule this week has moved on to the master bedroom, but I've had a major clear-out there a while ago so this is one room that isn't bad at all. I may do some of the tasks (dusting is something that always seems to be required in a bedroom...), but I think I might instead divide my attention between the lounge and the utility room/lean-to. The lounge is always in need of attention, because as the room in which the family spends most of their waking hours it's also the most battered of all rooms and can always do with a little tlc.



The lean-to / utility area is probably my least loved room in the entire house. The lean-to is a disaster. It was here when we first moved and it's one of those unredeemingly ugly late additions to a period property that you just wish you could pull down entirely. It's not in keeping with the style of the house, it looks bad, it's too narrow to provide any useful space, it's absolutely freezing in winter, and, to top it all, it now leaks like a sive. 

D has been putting plastic sheeting over the cracked glass panes of the roof for a few years now, because since it is so ugly we have not wanted to throw any money at it, but the rafters are rotten and it's always damp and awful in there. We've not wanted to get rid of it entirely, though, because it does house the washing machine and an extra freezer which otherwise would have no space, and there is also a downstairs toilet to the side of it which, although nearly unusable in winter (can I say FREEZING!) is really useful in the summer months as an outside toilet that the boys in particular use a lot when they are in the garden. 

Over the years we have tried a variety of ways to make this awkward space more usable. We have tried to clear the way to the washing machine at the end, but because it's a utility area / mud room, things end up piling up anyway, we've put shelves / cup boards along the side house all the stuff that accumulates there (which have had the effect of making the gangway to the washing machine even more narrow), we've put hooks up for coats and bike helmets, etc. 

What I'd like to do is pull the whole thing down, knock through the wall between the lean-to and the kitchen and the tiny 5-room corridor that connects the kitchen to the dining room, hall, and the lean-to (the other two doors are the kitchen door and the pantry door), and re-build the lean-to by replacing it with a more generously sized extension with large bi-fold doors to the garden. This way we could let light into the dingy kitchen (since it's one window looks not into the garden but into the lean-to!), and make it into a large L-shaped kitchen-diner/family room. 

There are no such plans, though, so for now we carry on. D has just replaced the plastic sheeting, after a recent downpour revealed that new leaks had appeared...

I'm going to try to bring some order into this space this week, if only so I can push my way to the washing machine without bumping into all sorts of things on the way!


I wonder what progress I can make in this space?!*

What are you organising and tidying this week? I'd love the hear from you so leave a note or share a link to a blog entry if you like - tidying isn't my favourite thing in the world, but it's better with some company. ;)



* I can't believee I'm even showing this disgrace of a utility area to anyone!!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the tidying. I need to attack my girls bedroom because they are messy! Finishing some socks first though with a cup of tea as that's much more fun lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just tidied the boys' bedrooms this weekend because they had friends over for a playdate and you couldn't even tread anywhere. Somehow boy #3 has already managed to completely mess it up again, so I guess I'll have another go this evening if I don't want to break my ankle if I need to go in there in the night...

      Also, you are so right to finish those socks and have a cup of tea first - much more fun!!

      Delete
  2. Great job. I like your framed prints. Quite honestly, I only really thoroughly tidy up before we have company over. I do keep the kitchen the most clean since I deal with raw meats sometimes so sanitizing is a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm the same, really. I tidy all the time, of course, because otherwise you couldn't move around . here, but I only ever do a full tidy before we have anyone over (and not even then, sometimes - it really depends who it is!!). Overall I just try to keep things ticking over, really, but a super-clean, super-tidy house isn't a priority. I agree, though, the kitchen is the room I keep the cleanest, it's just necessary with a place you use for food preparation.

      Delete
  3. Its amazing how tidy my house is when there is only my husband and I here, I just need to put the hoover and duster around. But when the family arrive, our home really does come alive and looks like a tornado has hit. Enjoy the mess while you can....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a difference, doesn't it? We always notice that during school breaks any attempt at keeping the house tidy(-ish) is futile because as soon as your back is turned it's all full of toys again. I don't mind too much, really, but I do need to keep on top of it or it all falls to pieces!! ;)

      Delete