Wednesday, September 09, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Frog Frog Frogging...

... a-frogging we go!

This is not your typical WIP blog post I guess, but un-knitting is also knitting, right? 

I've been meaning to do this for ages, but it's always kind of heart-breaking to frog something that you've spent time and effort making. 


Bye Bye Cowl

Cowl was one of my earliest large knitting project - not the first, but early nonetheless, and because of that alone there is a certain amount of nostalgia attached to it. Add to that that I actually really like the shape and look of this jumper, and you may ask why I wanted to frog it at all.

Unfortunately this jumper is almost unwearable and in fact I haven't worn it for years. It's not the fit per se - it fits fine - but the fact that it's entirely knitted in garter stitch. 

Have you ever tried wearing a garment made entirely in garter stitch?

Well, if you have you'll know that garter stitch fabric stretches almost into infinity. 

This might be great for certain kinds of project that you want to be stretchy and bouncy, but it's not so great for a jumper in an already quite soft wool yarn. As soon as you pull this jumper over your head it starts to follow gravity and extend in length. The body stretches down and the sleeves get longer and longer until you need to push them up to do anything.

Before you know it you are wearing a fluffy and shapeless bag. 

Not a great look. 

It's such a shame, because if it wasn't garter stitch the pattern would be great. The body of the jumper has subtle shaping, and the cowl is lovely. I gave the sleeves a subtle flare effect that also works well. 

Perhaps I should reknit the whole thing in stockinette? 

Alternatively I am considering Idlewood:


16 comments:

  1. Such a shame after all that hard work, but if it doesn't work then you won't wear it so at least you can reuse the yarn. The pattern you have chosen is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frogging a finished project is never fun but it sounds like it was the right choice. I really like that Idlewood pattern although I think the sweater reknitted in stockinette would be gorgeous too. Maybe you'll just have to knit both lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to see all that effort and hard work undone, but if you don't wear it I think you made the right choice. Focus on the fact that you'll be reusing the yarn so it won't go to waste. Idlewood has been a longtime favorite of mine so my vote is a very enthusiastic YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I feel you! I once frogged a completely lace sweater TWICE because I just knew I wouldn't wear it because of it's issues. Also, there was a cardigan that I knit once in too-soft yarn, and it makes me sad whenever I wear it because it just doesn't have the shape I wanted. It's so emotionally hard to frog, but honestly, you always feel better about it in the long run. It's a great long-term-vision painful job. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have project waiting in the wings to be frogged, mostly because it just didn't appeal to me that way I thought it would. Instead, it's going to be transformed into The Purl Soho Pullover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this sweater! The color and fit (at least on the picture!) is so beautiful! It definitely takes courage to frog something like that! Maybe you can have it as a cozy house sweater to wrap yourself in during winter evenings?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame. What about doing it in moss stitch? I have a cardigan in moss stitch & it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it's any encouragement, I admire the fortitude it takes to frog something that took a lot of work, in order to create something else. To me, that is the height of industry and creativity. I've also come to look at it all as simply part of the creative process. The creative process is a learning process and even our mistakes are valuable. Best wishes on whatever you choose to do with your reclaimed yarn! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't know what frogging means, i am kinda new to knitting.....but i "think" maybe you are going to undo/take out the sweater and reuse the yarn. i could never do that with one of my early pieces.....i would instead buy a pretty hanger and display it on the wall, perhaps with the year displayed that you made it. that's just me, i have very little experience with these things but i am very nostalgic...and to me, it's beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from Ginny's blog today. :) I, too, have an early project sitting, waiting to be frogged. It doesn't fit, and I chose the wrong yarn. I'm for frogging it if you aren't going to wear it! And I love, love Idlewood! Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, a shame you have to frog, but if you don't wear it then it has to be done. I like Idlewood and would not redo in stockinette, I would get away from it completely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For sure it's the right choice if it bothers you so much and becomes unwearable. You've got some lovely photos for memories and can recycle the yarn into something else just as lovely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unknitting is definitely knitting. Sadly. But so true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have a sideways rib sweater that needs ripping out for the same reasons. Sad but true. I think once the ripping is started and the new projects are planned I'll feel better about it! Idlewood looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I'm sorry this has to be frogged. But with massive stretching like that, I can understand. I have the Idlewood pattern. I like its roomy cowl as I don't like garments choking me and I like the option of short sleeves. I'm always pushing up sleeves or rolling them up to get the ends out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ouch! But probably the best choice.

    The Idlewood looks lovely. One day I will make a jumper for me (and finish it - so often I get fed up and frog ;) )

    ReplyDelete