Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Quick update... and Self Portrait Tuesday

I haven't disappeared, I'm just not around a lot right now. We are trying to juggle everyday tasks, work, constant travelling up and down the country and trying to make sense of the awful last few weeks. I long for some quiet time so we can reflect and come to terms with it all... For now, I hope you are all well - I have been reading some blogs whenever I have had a minute, but no commenting so far. Sometime in the future I will find time again to leave comments and to reply to all the kind words you have sent me in the last few weeks.

In knitting news, I have started another Hourglass Sweater - this time in a burnt orange colour. It's a yarn I bought a while ago - Jaeger Shetland Aran - and it knits up wonderfully. I have already half-finished the body of the sweater. No pictures yet, because I forgot to take them earlier when I took photos of my finished objects and don't have time now as I have to pick up my dad from the airport in 30 minutes. There will be pictures soon, though. I promise.

For now, this is My-So-Called-Scarf, all finished and with the ends woven in. I wore it a lot last weekend and it's very snuggly and warm. Not a very exciting project, but I am pleased with the results and I think I will wear it a lot:

And another one of me wearing it:

And this is my Greek Pullover, all sewn up:

And because all those pictures have come out a bit dark, another one (not that you can see much more here...):

No ruffles yet, as I had no time to buy chiffon. I'm not too sure about it... I still like the pattern, and I am pleased with the neckline and the i-cord under the boobs - anything that makes my boobs look bigger is a good thing in my book. ;-) I think, though, that the body could have done with being a bit longer. Maybe the ruffles will remedy that.

Sadly, all the pictures came out a bit dark - it's this darn dingy weather. Should have used the flash...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Self-Portrait Tuesday this week I have chosen something that makes me feel free and happy. Powerful. Secure in my own skin:

This dress is like a second skin and an armour in one. It adjusts to my mood. This dress, can make me feel sexy or cute, elegant or care-free, but it always makes me feel strong. It's the colour I think - it signals, makes me aware of myself.

A long while ago I read a poem by Kim Addonizio, describing such a powerful dress, not quite like mine, but close enough in the strength, the pride, the fighting-spirit it conveys:

What Do Women Want?
by Kim Addonizio

I want a red dress.
I want it flimsy and cheap,
I want it too tight, I want to wear it
until someone tears it off me.
I want it sleeveless and backless,
this dress, so no one has to guess
what’s underneath. I want to walk down
the street past Thrifty’s and the hardware store
with all those keys glittering in the window,
past Mr. and Mrs. Wong selling day-old
donuts in their café, past the Guerra brothers
slinging pigs from the truck and onto the dolly,
hoisting the slick snouts over their shoulders.
I want to walk like I’m the only
woman on earth and I can have my pick.
I want that red dress bad.
I want it to confirm
your worst fears about me,
to show you how little I care about you
or anything except what
I want. When I find it, I’ll pull that garment
from its hanger like I’m choosing a body
to carry me into this world, through
the birth-cries and the love-cries too,
and I’ll wear it like bones, like skin,
it’ll be the goddamned
dress they bury me in.


My red linen dress is such a garment. I wear it all the time. Wearing it makes me feel good. Beautiful. Strong.

These pictures were taken on our honeymoon this summer in New England and to me they capture that feeling of strength, happiness, freedom and warmth.

I wish it was summer - I could do with wearing it now.


And that's it for now. Take care all of you. *hugs*

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 pm

    Iris, I love the Greek pullover, very fetching!!! The scarf is a lovely colour...I'm a sucker for new scarves just because they keep the dampness at bay and that is the lovely weather we are experiencing here in Nova Scotia!
    Cheers, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the self portrait and the poem! i want a dress like that!

    also love the greek pullover - i think it looks great without the ruffly chiffon and it's not too short when you wear a slightly longer top like that underneath. that socalled scarf is gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Greek Pullover looks great even without the ruffles (and a much better colour than the one in the magazine, which was too 'nothing' really ...)

    Thanks for the poem, think it really captures the way the best clothes make you feel - have snagged a copy of it for myself, hope you don't mind! - wear the dress anyway if it makes you feel good, just find something warm to go over it (judging from the ugly rumours I've been hearing about snow on the way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:39 pm

    I love the Greek pullover just as it is! You have such a great figure...

    Great scarf too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Greek pullover looks wonderful!

    Thinking of you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:20 pm

    I love your Greek Pullover and I agree that it looks better in a stronger colour. I've got some red KC waiting in the wings so perhaps I'll have to give it a go myself. Also love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:09 pm

    I knew that Greek pull-over would look great on you - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:11 pm

    Your Greek pullover looks fantastic and yes, I prefer it in this colour too! Well done Iris, this a great FO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:24 pm

    Your pullover is amazing! And i love your scarf, such a pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:02 am

    The Greek pullover is lovely. It looks great on you, dark pics or not. Red is your color...from what I can see with my laptop coloring...you are a knock-out.

    Take care of yourself...one day at a time...
    Your Holiday SP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:42 am

    Love the Greek pullover. It looks wonderful on you. The scarf is great too - beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Greek Pullover looks fantastic! Wish i had your figure you look really great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. *hugs to you and D* It's been a strange fall. J and I have both lost family members this past month.

    The Greek pullover does look wonderful on you, and I think the ruffles will make the length more pleasing. I've been debating making it, but I'm not sure I want my boobs to look bigger!

    Maybe I'll just start with my so-called scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi again Iris, I was wondering how you did the i-cord, did you do a long one to cross in the front and then it would be a single length in the back, or did you do two so they'd criss cross on both the front and back? I'm guessing from the instructions that you're supposed to do the latter but I wasn't entirely sure.

    ReplyDelete