Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Progress update... and another quick FO

Progress this week is less spectacular as last week (after all, I'm not finishing a whole blanket every week!), but it's been steady. With the granny square blanket finished and the sock still stuck in my office at work (I've been working from home a lot this week) I've reconnected with the Garter Yoke Cardi.

I have to say that now that the garter section is finished I'm enjoying it a lot more. I don't really like knitting garter stitch for too long. It's odd really - shouldn't it be easier and quicker than stockinette? I think I just enjoy seeing that smooth stockinette stitch fabric grow as I knit. 

Here is the cardi as it looks now:



Gratuitous close up of the increase:


I've finished the increase section and I'm about to separate the sleeves from the body. They are supposed to go on waste yarn, which is why I stopped knitting - I was at D's mum's house and I didn't have any waste yarn with me. 

This is obviously not even nearly finished, so it's going to stay with me for a while, but a lot of the more concentration-heavy stuff is done (as long as I can keep track of all those button holes. So many button holes!!) so it should be quite good mindless knitting while the house is full of family for boy #3's Christening. 

I do have one little FO to share, though - here is the little granny square pillow I was knitting with the spare granny squares last week:


It's just the one side - once it was done I carefully sewed it to the existing cushion cover. I'm really happy with it. The construction was easy - 9 granny squares, then 2 rows of double crochet around each square. I then crocheted all the squares together and started double crochet rows around and around the set of squares until it was nearly the right size. Right towards the end I added one row of the same pattern that I used for the squares (triple crochet, 3 into one stitch, then a gap of 2 stitches, etc) followed by 1 row of chain stitch. At the moment the pillow is on the sofa but I think eventually it may live in Matilda the caravan. 

More of Matilda and my plans for her to come later in the week! :) 


I played along with:

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful cushion, the colour combination of the granny squares is delightful. I love the yarn for the cardigan, the touch of mustard throughout is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really hoping the cardi will become a good everyday garment to wear. :)

      Delete
  2. i adore the yarn you are using for the garter cardi....what a wardrobe staple that is going to be!!!! (i just finished my granny blanket.....boy, was i careful not to crochet more circles than I needed....now, I sort of wonder---maybe i should have made a few extra! love the pillow!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really hoping it'll be an easy thing to wear.

      As for the granny blanket... well, you could always crochet a few more circles! ;)

      Delete
  3. The cushion is just darling and isn't some mindless stockinette just lovely, looking forward to seeing some more of Matilda and the plans for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And yes, sometimes some simple stockinette is just the ticket... ;)

      Delete
  4. love that cushion so much... it will look perfect in Matilda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture of the Rowanspun on the cardis. I've stalled this week - got embroiled in another project and didn't even look at it!

    ReplyDelete