Saturday, June 17, 2017

All the socks...

I've been on a bit of a sock-knitting binge this past week. 

First I pulled out that gorgeous red Regia sock yarn that I bought a couple of summers ago on Borkum, and finally found a good pattern for it. I wanted something with some texture because I tend to prefer solid colours for those kinds of pattern, but I didn't want it to become too complex because, well, I know myself and the sock knitting... I didn't want this to become another endless WIP.

I finally settled on the Hedgerow socks. The first few rows were, not exactly confusing, because it's not a difficult pattern, but I couldn't quite see how it was coming together. It all just seemed really random and looked chaotic. Now, a few repeats into the pattern I can see my way more clearly and it's coming together rather nicely.


While I've been busy with this project, the other day, while digging around in my office, I also managed to unearth another ancient WIP. It was a sock, knitted in purple cashmere yarn, held double-stranded to make a slightly bulkier sock. I had only knitted slightly more than that cuff of sock one, and had then evidently given up because I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to do the heel. I took it downstairs and after digging around a bit on Ravelry I found a dk sock pattern that seemed close enough to my stitch count to adapt. 

My sock had 44 stitches, while this pattern was for 40 stitches, but the heel worked out fine by substituting the 19 stitches for the heel flap for 21 stitches, and the short rows for K9 rather than the K8 required in the pattern. I pretty much winged it, but it worked!



I finished the first sock yesterday evening, and, to avoid another endless delay, cast on for sock two this morning. I very much hope the yarn will be sufficient because it's obviously not meant to be held double-stranded. To make it go further I had started using some left-over Freedom Sock yarn, but now that is running low and I'm using it double-stranded with some pink cashmere. A stylish project this is not, but this yarn is so soft, I'm sure the socks will get a lot of wear anyway, even if I run out of yarn half-way down the foot and have to finish in a different colour! :D

Shared with:
A Year of Projects

11 comments:

  1. Love the purple, a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:05 pm

    How diligent you are. I've given up on my Yule Socks; I don't know why I'm not into knitting them anymore. But I need a sock project sometimes, so yesterday I knitted a swatch for a vanilla one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yarns are gorgeous. I really love that purple yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the socks you have knitted. For the pink sock, I can see how the pattern might not emerge right away and it can look confusing. I like how it is turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pattern you chose for the pink yarn. Cashmere socks.......how lovely. I think you will be the only one knowing about the different yans being added.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pattern you chose for the pink yarn. Cashmere socks.......how lovely. I think you will be the only one knowing about the different yans being added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you - solid colour sock yarn is the perfect opportunity to play with pattern! The red is gorgeous!

    Cashmere socks sound heavenly. I'm not sure how hard wearing they would be, so I'd probably keep them as bed socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your pairs of socks are gorgeous. The colours are splendid, well done on figuring out the heel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of your pairs of socks are gorgeous. The colours are splendid, well done on figuring out the heel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay. more socks! I love them both, but purple is my colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice blog you hhave here

    ReplyDelete