Saturday, April 21, 2007

What does a girl do...


... when she doesn't like knitting socks because knitting on small needles takes far too long for her liking?

She starts knitting a baby cardigan on toothpicks of course!

I'm so hopeless. Honestly, much as I adore sock-weight yarn and much as I adore handknit socks, I am rubbish at finishing sock-related knitting projects. Knitting a pair of socks takes me on average 2 years. So what am I doing, trying to knit a baby cardigan in 4-ply yarn? For a deadline that could be any day now (my best friend is due TODAY but fortunately her little girl is not in a hurry to leave her cozy little nest and face the grey and rainly April weather)?

Obviously I fell in love with this project BEFORE I checked on the required yarn and needle size and when I did it was already too late, in particular as I'd been waiting for quite a while for a suitable girl baby to knit this particular item for. And now I'm stuck, evening after evening, after settling the bean down for the night (he thinks knitting needles are utterly fascinating, so no knitting with him around!!), squinting at my minuscule progress on said cardigan. Even D commented a few days ago - 'god, you've been knitting this for ages. It's tiny!!' Grrrr!

I do like the result, though. I think once it's done (should be around the time the little girl leaves home to go to university...) it will be very cute.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:54 pm

    That's adorable! What pattern are you using? All of your hard work will pay off because it's so cute and the mom will LOVE it (whenever you give it to her!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gorgeous sweater! Don't despair -- I know that will be loved by the mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 ply makes for a dainty cardigan, perfect for a baby. What yarn are you using? It looks very soft.
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 am

    HELLO,
    thans for the comment on my blog, the pattern is mine. hehe.
    jeni
    fyberspates

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look lovely - the yarn looks super soft. It will be worth all those squillions of rows of knitting when it's finished ;)

    ReplyDelete