Sunday, July 15, 2018

Holiday prep...

We are off on holiday to the Netherlands in a few days time.


Well,  next Friday really, but this coming week is looking to be such an insanely busy week, with school stuff, and getting all the critters sorted, and boy #1's leavers celebrations (he is off to secondary school in September! Where has time gone!?), and then an unexpected hospital appointment for me next Wednesday, which will likely set me back a day or so in preparation, that I really have to get a move on with my holiday prep now or it won't get done in time. It feels weird to be quite this organised, but I'm going with it...


This does not mean, however, that I have my priorities completely in order. I have, for example, already spent an unreasonably long time contemplating what knitting projects I want to bring. Do you find that you spend far too long thinking about things like this?! Realistically, I probably won't get a lot of time to knit anyway, and yet I find myself weighing up different projects, WIPs, looking at more patterns. Insane, when I have so much to do!

I'm currently thinking of bringing my newest project, the Mohair cowl that I'm knitting with some stash yarn that I recently unearthed. I can't even remember where I got this stuff, but it's quite nice to knit with and will hopefully make a nice light but warm jumper with a generous cowl. There is lots of this yarn, so I'm not likely to run out no matter how generous I make it.


I'm also thinking of bringing my will-it-ever-get-finished Black Acer. This cardi has been on my needles so long it's unreal, but I find it so hard to work on it. It's not so much that the pattern is too difficult as that it takes my full concentration and I so rarely have a moment during the day when I can give it that. I tried knitting in the evening, but the black is awful to work with in artificial light. Perhaps the holiday will allow me to make some headway with this project? I'd really like to wear that cardi sometime before I retire...


I'm also thinking of perhaps bringing my parrot socks?  These are usually my handbag project and I tend to drag them all over the place because they are an easy no-thinking-required stockinette stitch and therefore ideal for quickly picking-up and setting-down as required.


Alternatively I could bring my red Hedgerow socks, again a project that's been on the needles far far too long. This might be the better option because the parrot socks will get finished one day anyway, because they live in my bag and come out whenever I have to wait anywhere for any length of time. The Hedgerow socks however are again somewhat more tricky, with a somewhat fiddly pattern to remember, and if I get distracted I tend to mess it up. Or should I rather take an easy project for the beach?! Decisions, decisions...


I'm also thinking of bringing some yarn to work on the larger version of the little crochet rat I made for boy #2. Boy #3 has been asking for a cuddly larger version for so long now...


I don't know... I have so many pattern ideas at the moment that I am finding it really hard to properly focus on a project. Should I instead bring something new and exciting?!

Or perhaps I should shelve these contemplations for a while and concentrate on packing things like trousers and underpants...

Shared with:
A Year of Projects
Crafting On

13 comments:

  1. You also need to make some time to research yarn shops in and around where you are vacationing, because souvenir yarn is waiting! Lol!

    I typically knit lots on the way there and the way back, but little if any when actually vacationing. I’d pack the vanilla socks!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Souvenir yarn! How did I forget about that!

      You are absolutely right, I will have to restrict myself to something simple that I actually might have a chance of working on.

      Delete
  2. You have lots of choices of great projects, but I think I tend to agree with Minding My Own Stithes because I'd probably end up not working on anything because I'm so busy experiencing the place I'm at, OR I'd be so exhausted from all the new experiences that I wouldn't have the ability to focus on something other than, in your case... maybe the Parrot Socks.

    Have fun on your trip! And pictures on your return, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, the Parrot Socks are probably the most sensible choice... I shall be good and won't load the car up with dozens of projects that I am not going to get a chance to work on!!

      Delete
  3. The Parrot Socks. Mindless knitting on holiday is the only way to go. Besides.....you need space to bring back some yummy yarn from your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are all so sensible! Parrot Socks it is! :)

      Delete
  4. The parrot socks,because in reality you wont have time to concentrate on complicated patterns, too many distractions. have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parrot Socks seems to be the general consensus. I shall listen to you all be be sensible! :)

      Delete
  5. Wishing you a wonderful holiday away. Mindless knitting is the way forward, too many distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great holiday. No, you're not the only one who spends far too much time contemplating which projects to bring!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the parrot socks corner, and I'm all for the souvenir yarn as well. Have fun on your trip, and please spam us with holiday photos :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd opt for the easy cowl and socks, great for still working on something should the desire hit but also allowing you time to enjoy and take the whole holiday in. I'm also with Marsha on the souvenir yarn and some research on yarn shops to visit. Hope you enjoy the holidays no matter what you decide or do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is secondary school for 11-13 year olds? I can't believe your boy is that old already. I love your mohair yarn. Is it soft. It is in such a lovely color. I wish I could wear pastels. I feel so self-conscious in them. And thank you for the cheer in last week's post. My daddy was very happy and our bellies were spoiled rotten.

    ReplyDelete