Monday, September 18, 2006

Counting down...



For the sake of keeping a record, I thought I should post a picture of my belly these days. It may not look that big (although... I really think it does!!), but compared to the picture next to it, which is me when I was 2 weeks or so pregnant (I don't think I even knew then) it is quite a difference!

The picture was taken a few days ago when D and I finally got round to taking a few more pictures. Of course this is a far cry from our initial plans - taking pictures every month to monitor the growth of the belly. Instead we have a few pictures of the initial bloatedness of the first 12 weeks, maybe one picture of a 5 month belly and then this set of pictures... I guess it's still good that we managed to at least take a few before the bean is ready to face the world!

~ * ~

Other than that, I have been in the right sort of mood to finish some WIPs. I have been knitting like crazy on the logcabin baby blanket and lo and behold, I only have one round to go before I can call it done. Unfortunately I seem to be running out of yarn for one of the sections, so I may have to make a quick run to the local yarn shop (and hope that they stock the particular yarn I have been using), but even with that little hold-up it should be finished very very soon.

I have also finished the messenger bag that I started sewing a week or so ago. There is no pattern, so the whole thing was a bit of an experiment, and overall it's not as tidy as it could have been. Still, I am pleased with the result, and have already used it to tote the soon-to-be-finished baby blanket around with me when D and I went out yesterday afternoon!



The inside of the bag has two pockets - one for a mobile phone, one a bit bigger, for a wallet for example. Shame on me, though, for not thinking of this earlier - the bag now sports some seams which are visible on the outside of the bag because this being an afterthought I had of course already sewn up the rest of the bag. I also ran out of fabric for the bag straps, so I had to settle for having two thin ones rather than one big strap (you can see this a little on the pictures). I am contemplating sewing them up in the middle to make it look slightly less odd...

Right, onto the next finished WIP - the garter stitch baby cardigan in unphotogenic dark blue. I have finally found and added some buttons:


Predictably, the colours are totally off. The cardi itself is a darker colour than it appears on the picture, while the buttons are a light blue rather than the white that they seem to be here. I am really pleased with this, in particular as it hasn't turned out too tiny and bean should be able to wear it for quite some time.

And last but not least, I have been trying myself at sewing softies. My first attempt isn't much to show for, but I love the result anyway. May I present Manfred the hippo (eyes to come once I can think of some way to not make them look creepy):


Manfred is very very wonky, because, being the lazy thing that I am, I didn't bother stitching the pieces of felt together before I started sewing. Instead I made this up as I went along, with the rather predictable result of poor Manfred being a bit lopsided. I think with my next softie I should maybe take the prep work a bit more seriously! ;-)

~ * ~


One-Yard-Fabric Swap


Well, the deadline was yesterday evening, and it looks like we have a good group of people now! I also have most of the questionnaires back by now (all apart from one! ;-)) so I shall wait for a another day or so to give the last swapper time to send it back and then you can expect to receive your swap partner details on Wednesday or on Thursday at the latest.


As a reminder, details of the swap and the rules are in the sidebar of the blog or else HERE. The deadline for sending the parcels to your swap partners is the END OF OCTOBER, so there should be ample time to get everything together.


I am really looking forward to this and as this is my first attempt at hosting a swap I am so pleased to have such a lovely group of people together. Can't wait to see what people will send! :-)

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:31 pm

    Your baby cardi is so cute and the bag is so nice - i'm envious! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:59 pm

    Wow, whatta belly! You must be just about ready to have your baby in your arms. You look great though.

    I love the messenger bag, and the hippo! I broke down and bought a hand-sewn dress for my daughter from someone else over the weekend, but I really need to get back to sewing myself. Your projects are good inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, what a wonderful post of FOs (and one special WIP)! Love the bag, love the baby sweater. Those are adorable buttons! And your hippo is so cute! I tried to design my own stuffed duck the other day for my daughter, who loves ducks right now, but I couldn't get the gussets right to make him 3D. I'll try again when I have the energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:52 pm

    I'm gonna send it to you as soon as I get home from work today!

    Promise!

    Great photos, btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many things to comment on - your belly is so cute! Heh... I don't imagine cute is the word you'd choose, though.

    I really like the bag, especially your choice of lining. And the cardi? Adorable! It reminds me of a sweater I knit for my son when he was a baby.

    As for the hippo, I think she's utterly charming, wonkiness and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:17 pm

    What a lovely belly! Congratulations on your little Bean. I've just started reading your blog after signing up for the swap so I'm behind on the well wishes.
    I love your messenger bag. I have been wanting to make one for myself.
    The Hippo is adorable - it will be loved regardless of being lopsided.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so memorable to capture the belly in photos. Come to think of it, I have no photographic evidence that I was ever pregnant :)
    Manfred's cute! And your messenger bag reminds me that I would like to get back to some bag sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely things you've made! I love the buttons on the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're looking fabulous! Savour every moment of it; it's over so quickly. Love the cardi, and Manfred looks perfect to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:02 pm

    Belly! Belly! It's looks lovely btw - and le Hippo is cool too - you could always do some embroidered eyes like half crescents with little eyelashes?1

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hippo is SOO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful! that tummy looks wonderful, best wishes, can't wait to see pictures of your wee bean, enjoy this quiet time, it's all going to be crazy busy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. just found your site and am enjoying browsing! Best wishes with the baby on the way - I had my first just seven weeks ago and it is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete