Sunday, September 11, 2005

Secret Pal 6 Questionnaire

The famous SP Questionnaire!

I haven't been informed who my secret pal is but it should be today or tomorrow... This is my first secret pal round - I'm so excited!!

SP 6 Questionnaire


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

In some ways I probably am a yarn snob. I definitely prefer higher quality and natural fibers. However, I have also used cheaper yarns that I have liked, so there are exceptions to the rule. Overall, what is important to me is the feel and look of a yarn and I like it if there is at least some natural fiber content. Also, if it ‘squeaks’ weirdly like some acrylic yarn does (makes my teeth hurt), or if it looks terrible after washing it once, I probably won’t like it.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I’ve just got into spinning. When I was on honeymoon this month we visited several yarnstores in New England and amongst other things we bought two drop spindles and some roving. My partner is now obsessed with making the ‘perfect’ spinning wheel, which is great, as I get to try them out! I also bought a spinning wheel, just a few days ago, but I'm already in love with the whole process of making yarn.


3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

Mussles and some kinds of pollen, and DH has a nut allergy, but that’s not really relevant, is it? Yarn with a very high Angora content makes me itch - but doesn't it do that to everyone?

4. How long have you been knitting?

I learned as a child, and then stopped because I thought it was boring. I got back into it about a year ago, through an online friend (LiveJournal), who tempted me with the beautiful socks she kept on knitting.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes, I have an Amazon.co.uk wish list, but it's a bit chaotic at the moment... It’s here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/registry/wishlist/202-3659791-8895830 If that link doesn’t work, you can also find it by typing in my user name, merkuria_lyn or my yahoo email address, merkuria_lyn@yahoo.co.uk.


6. What's your favorite scent?

I love natural scents – freshly cut grass, how the forest smells after it has rained, flowers (lavender, rose, mint). Also, the smell of freshly baked bread.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Not particularly. I eat chocolate and cake every now and then, and I have a weakness for my aunt's black forest gateau, but in general I prefer savoury foods and rarely get cravings for sweets.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I’ll try anything! Seriously, I have always loved drawing and painting, although now I get very little time to do that, I used to do pottery (before the courses that I used to go to were cancelled… grrrr), I knit, and spin, and am looking forward to trying to dye my own yarn and I am planning to teach myself how to crochet. I used to do quite a bit of sewing, and recently I have started re-discovering my love for fabrics. I am currently lusting over Amy Butler fabrics on ebay. ;) I also love gardening. Does gardening count as a craft?

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I love opera and classical music, jazz, chansons, and pop. My music taste is quite eclectic. ;)

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I used to wear mainly black (to the extent that people used to ask me if I was in mourning) – it wasn’t an image thing, just simply habit, I guess. Since then I have been teaching myself to like colours, and although I lean towards more earthy tones I now rather like pink and berry colours too. Recently I’ve developed a love for burnt , spicy shades of orange. Colours I can’t stand – yellow, at least on clothes. I like blue, but can’t wear it - it seems to look rather odd on me…

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married, with two cats.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

Oh dear. I’m currently in the last stages of my PhD, so finishing that is pretty high on my list of life dreams! Longterm, D and I are hoping to lead slightly more alternative lives, be more self-sufficient, maybe move out of the city somewhat, so we can keep some more animals. Overall, I guess my life dream is that of many people – to lead a good and fulfilled life in the company of people I love.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I don’t really have one but there are plenty of yarns I love, or think I would love if I could get hold of them (coughKnitPickscough). As long as it doesn’t scratch or ‘squeak’ while knitting and is soft to the touch I’m not fussy, but I usually makes sure that the yarns I use don’t shed too much, so Angora, much as I like the look and feel of it, is pretty much out. Generally I love wool and silk. I used to think that I didn’t care much for Mohair, but that was before Rowan gifted me with Kidsilk Haze… Hmmmm. I am curious about yarns and will sometimes just decide that I want to knit something with a yarn that I think looks interesting and will then go and find the right pattern for it (rather than the other way round).

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I’m not too keen on acrylics, but then again, I have used yarns with acrylic content and they were fine. Angora, because it sheds to badly. Otherwise, as long as a yarn feels good to touch and wears well I’m open-minded.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Sweaters. Lots and lots of sweaters on my to-knit list!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I enjoy knitting. I have knitted bags and scarves, and summer tanks, and some shawls and I have enjoyed knitting them all. Well, I was getting a bit impatient with Clapotis and the endless repeats in the middle section, but the same for every big project, isn't it? I am currently working on a Sweater and that is quite good fun too!

17. What are you knitting right now?

The Hourglass Sweater from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. There is also an almost-finished Froth Scarf, knitted with some KidSilk Haze, and my nearly forgotten Cozy...

18. What do you think about ponchos?

Errr, not for me, thank you. I don’t hate them, and I’ve seen some that look OK on people, but I don’t think I want to make or wear one.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

No preference – depends entirely on the project.

20. Bamboo, aluminium, plastic?

Bamboo and aluminium.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

I have knitted a pair, recently, but suffered slightly from the 2nd sock syndrome. Overall I enjoyed the experience, though, so I’ll definitely knit more of them in the future. It allows you to use colours you wouldn’t use on any other item of clothing, and that alone makes it fun! :)

22. How did you learn to knit?

My aunt taught me when I was a child. When I started knitting again a year ago, I quickly remembered the basics, then taught myself the rest with the help of online knitting groups and the SnB handbook.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

That’d be Knitty’s Cozy – which is about 5 months old now, I believe… Someday I’ll finish it.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

What a strange question! Not sure about the animated character, but I love all animals. I have had both cats and dogs for pets (so no preference there), as well as a hamster, a mouse, two rabbits, two turtles and a parrot when I was a child – not all at the same time, though!! ;)

25. What is your favorite holiday?

We spent our honeymoon driving around New England on a Harley Davidson – that was pretty perfect. :) But any holiday in an interesting and beautiful location could be a favourite.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Books, I guess. They seem to breed on my shelves… And yarn and fiber, obviously. :)


27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Interweave Knits (if my first issue ever arrives). Rowan International.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I love books. I love reading them, I love looking at them, and fondling them. I'm odd that way.


29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??

I'm a bit of a horder and I love patterns, even though there is no way I'd ever be able to knit all the things I would like to! I'm currently trying to restrain myself a little...



For future reference, the questionnaire is also in the side-bar to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment